HomeTagsPosts tagged with "police"

police

by

The family of Nóra Quoirin has confirmed the female body found earlier this morning is their daughter's.

Nóra's family identified the body following a post-mortem examination at a local hospital around 70km south of Kuala Lampur.

Volunteers discovered the 15-year-old's body near a stream around 2km from where she disappeared on August 4.

The Lucie Blackman Trust, which are helping the Quoirin family in every way they can, said: "Investigations are under way to confirm identity and cause of death."

Nóra's mother Meabh, from Belfast, made a heartbreaking appeal yesterday to find her daughter, also offering a significant reward for any information.

She said:

"Nóra is our first child. She has been vulnerable since the day she was born. She is so precious to us and our hearts are breaking."

Meabh added: We are appealing to anyone who has information about Nóra to help us find her." Hundreds of volunteers, police and Indigenous trackers were searching for the teenager over the past 10 days.

The family have been based in London for the past 20 years, and had arrived at the Dusun resort on the day before Nóra went missing.

15-year-old Nóra was born with the brain defect holoprosencephaly and had special needs. Our deepest condolences go out to the Quoirin family at this distressing time.

Trending

by

A body has been found in the search for missing teenager Nora Quoirin, according to police sources in Malaysia.

Mohammed Yusop told MailOnline:

"I can confirm a body has been found in the Betembum mountains. It is not in an accessible place". He added that forensic examination was needed to determine if the body was male or female.

An officer told the Mirror UK: "We think we have found a body, but we need to confirm it is her. Please be patient. We will let you know as soon as it's confirmed."

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Howard Johnson (@howardrjohnson) on

Two forensics vans and more police cars have been seen entering the area, which is now sealed off with police tape.

The discovery was made as the search entered its tenth day in the Malaysian jungle, where Nora was holidaying with her family before she went missing.

The eco-resort in Dusun is around 64km from Kuala Lampur. The 15-year-old was reported missing on August 4 after her father raised the alarm when a downstairs window was wide open.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by  (@howardrjohnson) on

Around 350 people joined the search for Nora, in dense jungle and a river including Indigenous trackers, Interpol, an Garda Siochana and Scotland Yard.

Her mother and father, Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin, thanked search parties for their efforts:

“To be with us here, it means the world to us. We are so grateful for everything that you are doing for us, everyone who is helping here and not from here."

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by H (@hapicat_london) on

The parents of Madeleine McCann, Kate and Gerry, yesterday said that hearing of Nora's case "brings back horrors" of Madeleine's disappearance and sent Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin their prayers.

Our hearts are broken for Nora's parents, who must be going through hell. Any further information on the identification of the body will be updated soon.

Feature image: Twitter/@skynews

Trending

Ex-Love Island star Danny Williams has revealed that he's contacted the police over a series of racist death threats made against him.

The 21-year-old model commented that the abuse he's been receiving has been "worse than you can imagine."

He told OK! Magazine: “I’ve had death threats, racism, people threatening to come ‘round to my house and hurt my family."

He continued; “As worse as you can imagine, I’ve had it all. And it’s still happening today. Daily.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Danny Williams (@itsdannywilliams) on

“When it’s racist and it’s threats and you have to get the police involved that’s next level. And it got to that extent."

Social media has been a cesspit for death threats targeting reality stars;

“I'm going to bed at night I go on my phone like everybody else does, and you see some of the people saying they're going to come and kill me or, 'You're a horrible sick f' and whatever.”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by  (@itsdannywilliams) on

He added: “Everyone’s entitled to their opinions, but there’s never an excuse for that kind of stuff. It’s horrible.”

Danny became an infamous Love Island character known as the 'travel agent', as every girl he liked ended up on a plane home.

His relationship with Jourdan Riane appears to be getting stronger by the day, at least. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by  (@itsdannywilliams) on

During an interview on Capital Breakfast with hosts Roman Kemp and Vick Hope, the pair announced that they'd become official.

Roman quizzed the pair on their relationship status, asking: "Have you dropped the girlfriend/boyfriend question?"

Jourdan replied with a teasing comment; "Potentially…" However, Danny then confirmed: "Yeah we have, it's official."

Feature image: Instagram@itsdannywilliams

Trending

by

Gardaí are currently investigating an incident at the 3Arena during a Shawn Mendes concert involving a teenage girl.

Allegedly, the young woman was 'sexually assaulted' in the bathroom at the Canadian pop singer's sold-out gig in Dublin.

The teenager took to social media to write about her experience, and confirmed that she had explained the situation to the Gardaí.

She wrote: "On Saturday 13th of April I attended a Shawn Mendes concert in a well known Dublin venue near the docks."

"During a visit to the toilets I was sexually assaulted by an unknown person. The venue is aware of this and so are the guards." she continued.

"This is a warning to anybody attending any event from now on not to go to the toilet on your own," she said, shedding light on the lack of safety even at public events.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Shawn Mendes (@shawnmendes) on

"If this message and my experience can save one person from going through what I went through then my experience will not be totally negative."

A garda spokesman said: "Gardaí are investigating an alleged sexual assault of a female, that occurred at a venue on North Wall Quay, Dublin 1 on the April 13, 2019. Investigations are ongoing."

A spokesperson for the 3Arena has been contacted about the troubling allegation.

Feature image: Flickr/entertainment Dot IE

Trending

Kevin Hart has been forced to defend himself yet again after he sent prayers to Jussie Smollet, the Empire actor who experienced a recent horrific racist and homophobic attack.

The 35-year-old singer and actor was hospitalised after a savage attack in which a noose was put around his neck and bleach was poured on him, with the assailants shouting 'This is MAGA country' in a racially-motivated attack.

The homophobic and racist hate crime sparked anger all over America, with celebrities tweeting their support for the actor. Kevin Hart sent the actor prayers through his social media accounts, with the 39-year-old tweeting;

"Sending prayers your way Jussie Smollett ….This is unbelievably sad. Why are we going backwards….this is disgusting. We as people have to do better. WTF is going on the world?"

"Why are we falling in love with hate? God damn it people….Choose love…I repeat…Choose love. I will forever choose love and I will continue to teach my kids how to do the same. Stand strong brother," he concluded.

The tweet sparked yet more backlash online, following the controversy which lead to him stepping down from hosting the 2019 Oscars. A series of homophobic tweets were uncovered from the past, featuring jokes about beating up a gay son.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Kevin Hart (@kevinhart4real) on

One social media user responded: "Do you see why the “jokes” weren’t funny now?”, while another replied with one of Kevin’s polarising past tweets reading:

‘”Yo if my son comes home and tries to play with my daughters doll house I’m going to break it over his head and say 'stop that’s gay.'”

Podcaster and writer Ira Madison quote-tweeted Kevin’s tweet about Jussie and wrote: "Your funniest joke congrats." This was the final straw for Hart, who responded with a tweet of his own.

"I stand with a man in his time of hurt and need by giving him heart felt support and u take the time to harp on my ten year past that I have apologised about and moved on from by being a better person. Do you want change? If so I am an example of what u want people to do…CHANGE!" he wrote.

Ira replied, saying; 

"I 'harp' because my community of black queer people face violence 365 days in America and when we tried to tell you that we weren’t trolling you but wanted to educate how your jokes lead to actions like what happened to Jussie, you went on Ellen to talk about your wheelchair movie."

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Kevin Hart (@kevinhart4real) on

Fans of Kevin Hart chose to defend him, saying that he has shown remorse for his past actions and praising him for his support of Jussie.

Hart refused to host the Oscars after the controversy, and Ellen DeGeneres gave him a platform to speak about his past homophobic actions.

The Chicago Police Department have just released CCTV images of two persons of interest in the Smollett case. Nine days ago, he was sent a letter in the post to Fox Studios which read: ‘You will die black f*ggot".

He has received negative attention from racist and homophobic people in America as a result of his role in Empire, where he portrays a rising gay, black singer in the music industry.

Trending

Iconic singer Kylie Minogue has been left 'very shaken' after a man refused to leave her London home, and launched 'sustained campaign' of harassment, The Sun reported.  

Following a complaint by the singer, the man has been issued with a harassment warning. Police were called to a house in Chelsea and Kensington on January 23, according to the Metropolitan Police.

The mystery man reportedly asked her neighbours where the 50-year-old singer lived, and then pressed the intercom, refusing to leave. Security has since been increased at her West London house as a result.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Kylie Minogue (@kylieminogue) on

The man, who is in his 40s, was lurking around her home for days, and her neighbours spotted him a number of times requesting to know where Kylie lives.

A nearby resident in West London said: "It came to a head when the man repeatedly pressed the intercom button to her home for hours on end last week and refused to leave." 

The resident continued; "Kylie was quite upset and called in police. They spoke to Kylie, and also the suspect in the street for quite a while." She has taken 'sensible steps' to stop this from happening again.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Kylie Minogue (@kylieminogue) on

Another neighbour said: "A weirdo guy was lurking around. He went door to door asking people where Kylie lived."  The man repeated the singer's name again and again, in a disturbing manner.

The apparent stalker was described as wearing a raincoat and possessing a European accent.

The star suffered another security issue a few months ago when a man made threats against her before her German performance in November.

She was then guarded by 20 police officers who were armed at her next concert in Belgium. Images of the suspect were plastered around the venue and all male concert-goers were frisked heavily.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Kylie Minogue (@kylieminogue) on

Kylie as been seen enjoying her West London neighbourhood with her boyfriend, Paul Solomons. The 43-year-old is the creative director at British GQ and GQ Style magazine, and the pair went public last summer.

The singer was previously engaged to British actor Joshua Sasse, but they parted ways in February 2017. Kylie achieved her sixth UK number one last year when Golden reached the number one spot.

A number of celebrities have been plagued by stalkers and have been forced to hire extra protection or relocate, such as Tom Hardy and his wife Charlotte Riley, Noel Edmonds and Christine Lampard.

Trending

Pete Davidson caused a wave of concern on social media, after he made a troubling statement on his Instagram page.

Police also became worried, and visited with the star in New York City.

Lieutenant Paul Ng of the New York Police Department told USA TODAY that they did a 'wellness check and made contact.'

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Perez Hilton (@theperezhilton) on

According to The Irish Examiner, police declined to say where they met with the comedian. 

Davidson's words caused massive concern thanks to the tone and content of the message. 

I’m doing my best to stay here for you but I actually don’t know how much longer I can last,' he wrote. 

'All I’ve ever tried to do was help people. Just remember I told you so.'

The statement is extremely difficult to read and caused a surge of support for the entertainer. He has since deleted his Instagram. 

The 25-year-old appeared on this week's Saturday Night Live. He was also was a part of a pre-taped sketch on the show. 

Trending

A survey carried out by Newstalk has released results stating that half of Irish people would not report rape to the Gardaí if they knew it happened to someone else.

Newstalk’s Women in Ireland Survey shows that while eight out of ten people would report a rape if it was committed against them, when it came to somebody else the reports shifted entirely.

Red C conducted the survey for Newstalk in order to examine sexual violence in the country, and it found that women were significantly less likely to report an incident of rape of someone other than themselves. 

Only four out of ten women said they would report an incident, and six out of ten men, meaning that women are more likely to remain quiet about sexual violence occurring to a friend, acquaintance, family member, or even a stranger.

The survey also found that twice as many women as men have experienced gender discrimination, and three quarters of people would report sexual harassment at work.

The Women in Ireland survey enquired about if participants would report other sexual assault incidences such as groping, indecent exposure, sexual harassment at work or non-consensual touching.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Dublin Rape Crisis (@dublinrapecrisis) on

Apparently, three quarters of people would report indecent exposure or sexual harassment while at work, and two thirds of people would give a statement regarding groping to An Garda Síochána.

Regarding discrimination, twice as many women as men said they have experienced prejudicial treatment with younger people.

Interestingly, people who are living in Dublin are evidently more likely to have experienced gender discrimination in their lives.

Overall, the report shows troubling responses from our country, which has had two major rape trial controversies in the last year alone which have shed light on the worrying ways in which our justice system treats sexual assault victims.

Trending

A sexual assault was reported to have allegedly occurred on the west coast of Ireland last week.

The incident was said to have happened in Co Galway Gaeltacht last Saturday, according to multiple reports today.

On July 21st, a young girl stated that an older teen who attended the college allegedly attacked her.

The girl is said to be just 15 years old and her alleged male attacker is reportedly 17 years of age.

According to the Irish Mirror, after the incident, the girl was taken to Galway’s Sexual Assault Treatment Unit (SATU).

The Gardai have yet to make any arrests as the investigation is reportedly still ongoing.

A garda spokesperson told the newspaper: "Gardai are investigating an alleged sexual assault of a juvenile female at Inverin, Co Galway on July 21. The alleged assault took place on July 21st."

Trending

38 people have been injured after violence broke out during Catalonia's independence referendum.

Clashes occurred after police attempted to prevent the vote from taking place following a decision by Spain's constitutional court.

According to BBC News, witnesses say officers fired rubber bullets during pro-referendum protests in Barcelona.

Speaking to reporters, Catalan leader, Carles Puigdemont, condemned the action of police.

"The unjustified use of violence… by the Spanish state will not stop the will of the Catalan people."

In the town of Griona, where Mr Puigdemont was due to cast his vote, riot police forced their way into a polling station, in an attempt to forcibly remove anyone trying to cast a vote.

Catalonia is a territory in north-eastern Spain with its own language and culture and a population of approximately 7.5 million.

Many of its citizens wish for the region to become recognised as a separate nation, though Spanish Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, says the vote goes against the constitution.

Feature Image: Twitter 

Trending

A young man has died following an assault in Derry in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The 19-year-old victim was attacked by another man in the William Street area of the city.

The man suffered serious injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital before he was pronounced dead a short time later.

MLA, Mark H Durkan, has expressed sadness following the incident:

'”There is a real sense of sadness and shock across Derry today as the city wakes to the awful news that a young man has lost his life as the result of an incident in our city centre last night.”

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and everyone affected at this unimaginably difficult time.”

An investigation has commeneced and police in the North are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.

Trending

by

Parents in their 50s have been shot and are currently in hospital – after trying to protect their son.

The man and the woman refused to hand over their child to a Northern Irish gang, and were subsequently shot in the legs by the gunmen.

It is understood that the perpetrators of the attack are paramilitaries based in west Belfast. 

They arrived at a house in the Turf Lodge area of the city yesterday evening at around 6.15pm, but the boy's parents bravely fought them off. 

A police source told RTÉ News: "The parents wouldn't give the son over so they were shot instead. There are a number of other lads in Belfast under similar threat at the minute."

The parents are currently in a stable condition at Royal Victoria Hospital.

A local Sinn Féin politician, Pat Sheehan, was adamant that none of the family are involved in any criminality.

"There can be absolutely no justification for these type of actions," he told RTÉ. "Whoever is responsible needs to stop these barbaric attacks immediately."

Trending
Well hello there!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device in cookies to serve you personalized content and ads.

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.