HomeTagsPosts tagged with "investigation"

investigation

by

 A 'Rats Out of the HSE' protest took place today outside the Department of Health's office in Dublin, following a leak of patient information.

The woman had legally obtained an abortion, but was then phoned and harassed by anti-abortion groups, according to TheJournal.ie

The protesters were calling for better protection of confidential patient information and for an external investigation to be launched after last week's data breaches.

Roughly 12 people took part in the protest at lunchtime, carrying placards and holding cut-out rat masks at Miesian Plaza.

A number of investigations were launched last week into the shocking claims.

A woman had an abortion at the National Maternity Hospital in Dublin, otherwise known as Holles Street, and was later verbally abused over the phone by a man who had somehow obtained her personal information.

On Friday, anti-abortion protesters stated that they were given information on when abortions were scheduled to occur at Our Lady Of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.

Councillor Éilis Ryan of The Workers’ Party has said the HSE needed to clearly explain the steps it had taken to ensure that staff were providing abortion services in a trustworthy, fair and transparent manner.

"It doesn’t seem that any thought was put into how to change the culture of our hospitals to ensure people who might have anti-choice feelings themselves are not biased in how they carry out their healthcare provision”.

Her worry regarding the ability of our healthcare services to adapt without bias is felt by many.

Health Minister Simon Harris has admitted that an internal probe will take place, but “given the scale of scandals linking to the HSE in recent years we don’t feel that an internal investigation can be trusted or is sufficient”, according to Ryan.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by  (@freesafelegalfilm) on

She feels that Gabriel Scally is trustworthy, after he carried out the Cervical Check screening programme review.

Simon Harris said on Friday  that it was “extraordinarily concerning and disturbing” that a patient’s details of her own abortion could possibly become public.

"The idea that anybody might leak a woman’s confidential information is reprehensible, it is grotesque, it’s disgusting and that is why I asked the HSE yesterday to investigate the matter and report back."

The HSE, the Dublin Well Woman Clinic, the National Maternity Hospital and the Data Protection Commissioner are apparently making inquiries regarding the apparent incident. 

Cover image: Twitter/@michelledevane

Trending

Gardaí are now investigating an alleged sexual assault which took place last Thursday in South Dublin.

The incident involving the teenager apparently occurred on Lower Kilmacud Road in Stillorgan on January 10, around 7pm.

The young woman was walking down the road towards Dundrum and noticed a man following her, according to a Garda source.

Image: kfmradio.com

The man in question is accused of ejaculating on the woman before walking away, after following her for about two kilometres before the attack.

The teenager’s clothes have been taken by the Gardaí to be tested for DNA evidence. A significant amount of CCTV evidence has also been recovered.

A spokeswoman for the Gardaí confirmed officers were investigating “an alleged sexual assault on a female on Lower Kilmacud Road, Dublin on 10th January 2019 at 7pm”.

Gardai are following a definite line of inquiry. 

Trending

Beyoncé's father and former manager of Destiny's Child, Mathew Knowles, is claiming that he did everything possible to protect the girlband from R Kelly.

After hearing "some of those things" about the notorious sexual predator, he deliberately kept Destiny's Child away from him for their safety.

He also admits that hearing about Kelly's horrendous reputation for sexual, mental and physical abuse played a role in stopping the R&B band from collaborating with him.

A criminal investigation into dozens of allegations against R Kelly is now underway in Chicago and Atlanta following the Lifetime documentary Surviving R Kelly.

The Ignition singer, real name Robert Kelly, is accused of holding numerous women in a dangerous 'sex cult' in his homes, as well as having abusive, sexual relationships with underage girls as young as 12. He strongly denies this.

Rumours of his behaviour have been rampant since the early 1990s, after he forged singer Aaliyah's documents to allow her to marry him aged just 15, while he was 27.

Knowles claims that he originally turned down offers for Destiny's Child to collaborate with Kelly at first because he "didn't think it was a good song", according to Metro.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Terrance Tyson (@ttyson333) on

The 67-year-old, who is the father of Beyoncé and Solange, commented that he never let the band members out of his sight;

"I was there, and my former wife Tina was there. The thing with R Kelly was, he liked to record late at night, around midnight. And what was different with his studio was that one room had a recording suite, and next door was a club, with 40 or 50 people dancing."

He continued; "R Kelly was managed by Sony, by someone I won’t name, and at that time, they would almost force you to record with their artists. R Kelly wasn’t cheap – it was $75,000, plus travel costs, so we’re talking $100,000 for a song."

He added that Kelly's negative reputation was in it's early stages, "I personally rejected the song, because I didn’t think it was a good song. Not just because of his reputation – this was around 1998, we had just begun to hear some of those things."

Mathew later said that the rumours surrounding Kelly's deplorable behaviour played a part in his choices for the girlband from then on, he said;

"Certainly, it was both of those things. The girls were 15, 16. When they went to the bathroom, Tina would go with them. They did not leave our eyes." They were allegedly under strict supervision, and were protected from him.

Another source for Metro claims that;

"Record labels would ask R Kelly to write songs for emerging artists as a way to help them break into the industry and he made several requests for Destiny’s Child," the source suggests.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Destiny's Child (@destinyschild) on

"Mathew and Tina rejected all of them because they didn’t want him anywhere near the band which is why they are one of the few acts to debut in the 90s without an R Kelly song in its official discography," they added.

Only one Destiny's Child song is associated with R Kelly, Stimulate Me, which appeared on the soundtrack for Eddie Murphy's film Life in 1999.

Apparently Kelly did not work in the studio at the same time as the group, and the song never actually appeared as an official Destiny's Child release, so the gals are off the hook. 

We're glad Mathew Knowles had the ability to keep the group protected from him, sadly other women weren't as fortunate.

Trending

A man has been arrested in connection with the death of a 27-year-old woman in Donegal last night.

Gardaí sealed off the area in Forest Park in the village of Killygordon after being called to the scene.

Local reports on Friday morning stating that a person had been fatally wounded.

Sources then said the victim had died following the incident, with the body remaining at the scene.

Gardaí have since confirmed that a full investigation has been launched into the circumstances surrounding the death of the young woman.

A man in his 20s has been detained in Letterkenny Garda Station.

Three ambulances allegedly arrived at the house in the east of the county in the early hours of this morning, with children and other occupants leaving the house shortly afterwards.

A statement released by the Gardaí at 11:45am has stated;

“Gardaí are investigating the circumstances of the death of a woman in her 20s this morning the 4th of January 2019 at Forest Park, Killygordan, Co. Donegal. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene."

"The Office of the State Pathologist has been notified and the body remains at the scene pending an examination. The Garda Technical Bureau has been notified and will be carrying out a technical examination at the scene today.

"A man in his 20s has been arrested and is detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 in Letterkenny Garda Station. Investigations are ongoing.”

Patrick McGowan, who is the local county councillor in Killygordon, commented that; “All we know is that there has been a very serious incident and everyone in the locality is shocked."

“All we know is that somebody has been seriously hurt and Gardaí are awaiting the forensics team to arrive.”

He stated that locals are awaiting more information on the incident.

Trending

Hashtags which might be promoting eating disorders on Instagram have now been placed on an 'unsearchables' list following an investigation.

It was discovered that users of the photo-sharing network were bypassing the platform's filters, and health warnings have since been added to several spellings or terms which reference eating disorders.

Many of these terms are popular hashtags on Instagram's platform, but if they are on the 'unsearchables' list then zero results will come up.

Since 2012, the site began making some terms unsearchable in an effort to avoid users being able to locate often upsetting graphic images and posts which encouraged the idea that eating disorders were part of a lifestyle rather than a mental disorder.

However, BBC Trending claim that certain terms are still searchable, include ones which promote bulimia, and that Instagram's search bars suggest different terminology and spellings for terms glamorising eating disorders.

The search box offered a shocking 38 alternative spellings in one such instance for a popular term promoting the disorders.

Instagram has now made several alternative terms unsearchable and have added many to the list of terms triggering the health warning. They also have said they will continue to attempt to restrict such content.

A spokesman on their behalf commented that;

"We do not tolerate content that encourages eating disorders and we use powerful tools and technologies – including in-app reporting and machine learning – to help identify and remove it," 

"However, we recognise this is a complex issue and we want people struggling with their mental health to be able to access support on Instagram when and where they need it."

"We, therefore, go beyond simply removing content and hashtags and take a holistic approach by offering people looking at or posting certain content the option to access tips and support, talk to a friend, or reach out directly" to support groups.

Social networks have begun to censor content which could possibly encourage eating disorders, yet many people online discovered a way to navigate around the filters through deliberately misspelled hashtags.

Instagram and most popular sites don't use moderators to proactively search for dangerous content, and relies on users alone to report violations of its rules.

Algorithms fail to detect the difference between positive and harmful content, and then offer advertising and suggested sites which are promoting an unhealthy mental health disorder.

Eating disorder charities are demanding that ocial media networks take more responsibility for policing their content.

Certain sites online and Instagram pages are supportive for survivors of eating disorders, and there is an argument that removing posts could cease discussions surrounding eating disorders, which is important.

The rules of Instagram prohibit posts which promote or glorify eating disorders, but the company has a long way to go to develop its safety policies.

Trending

An Garda investigation has been launched following a violent incident in Co Meath on Sunday evening.

Two 17-year-old boys were brought to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda after they were allegedly assaulted by a large group of males near Gormanstown railway station.

According to a Garda spokesperson, the victims described their attackers as “both black and white youths” who were said to have been “accompanied by females who witnessed the assault”.

It is not yet know how many people were involved in the attack.

It's understood that both the teenage victims and the alleged attackers boarded a train in Balbriggan before alighting at the County Meath station.

Gardaí are appealing for anyone with any information, or indeed anyone who may have seen the attack, to contact them on 041 9813320 or 01 8010600 or the Garda confidential line on 1800 666 111.

Trending

Gardaí investigating the disappearance of Trevor Deely have completed their search operation at the site in Chapelizod, Dublin 10.

According to Gardai, nothing that furthers the search for Trevor was located during the search.

In a statement, an Garda Síochána said they wish to thank the public for their patience during the operation.

The site remains closed to the public.

The search of a three acre woodland site began just under two months ago, and a gun was found during the operation. 

The 22-year-old disappeared after his office Christmas party in Dublin in the year 2000.

The last known sighting of Trevor Deely was captured by a CCTV camera at the junction of Haddington Road and Baggot Street on the night of December 8 at around 4am.

The CCTV footage shows a man dressed all in black following him.

It has not been confirmed if the gun is linked to Mr Deely's disappearance.

Trending

An investigation has been launched after a young boy lost his life in a boating accident in the USA.

The eight-year-old Irish boy died in hospital on Saturday after the incident.

The boating accident occurred near Boston last Wednesday.

The boat that the boy was travelling on capsized, leading to his fatal injuries. 

He is said to have been under water for an extended period of time before being rescued. 

The Department of Foreign Affairs is assisting the family involved.

A spokesperson for the Plymouth County District Attorney's Office said an investigation was under way into the boy's death, according to RTÉ. 

Trending

A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out today after a woman's body was discovered in Dublin.

The remains were found in some shrubbery in Coolmine Woods yesterday afternoon.

The death is being treated as suspicious and the remains have been there for an extended period of time. 

The remains were found during  a search for missing woman Linda Christian.

Linda Christian has been missing for over three weeks. 

The body has yet to be formally identified. 

Flowers were laid at Coolmine Woods last night. 

Trending

by

Amid allegations that final year students at University College Cork had breached exam procedure, the university has chosen to withhold specific results pending an investigation.

According to The Irish Times, students from the business information systems course are alleged to have outsourced computer-coding aspects of their final-year project.

It is understood that the investigation was launched after a student alleged that up to 14 peers were involved in presenting work that wasn't their own.

While a large number have been cleared of plagarism, a number of investigations into the claim are currently ongoing, with the university confirming they are involved in "an ongoing process with a small number of students regarding possible breach of its examination procedures”.

As the investigation is ongoing, the university will not be commenting further, but it is understood that if a student is found to have breached procedure, they will face a mark of zero or be excluded from the university.

Trending

by

According to emerging reports, three young women are currently under investigation following the brutal attack on 18-year-old Castleblayney woman, Kym Owens, in Co Kildare last month.

Kim, who is a first year student in NUI Maynooth, was making her way to her digs in the Moyglare Abbey estate when she was assaulted on November 20.

Launching an investigation into the shocking incident, Gardaí took more than 200 statements, and it has been confirmed that three women are currently under investigation.

"Three young females are being investigated for the attack, and it is hoped that they will be interviewed in the coming days," a source revealed.

Urging the public to come forward with any information they may have, a senior officer reinforced the importance of the appeal.

"They can come back to Gardaí in full confidence, they will not be in trouble or anything like that. Their information could be crucial," he said.

Kym, who is currently receiving treatment in James Connolly Memorial Hospital in Blanchardstown, sustained sever injuries during the assault including broken eye sockets, a broken jaw and a broken nose.

 

Trending

by

Gardaí are investigating the alleged rape of a female student at University College Dublin’s Belfield campus.

The alleged assault took place last Thursday, November 24, between the hours of 10am and 11.30pm.

An investigation has been launched and no arrests have been made.

Early reports suggest the student had been socialising with friends on the day of the alleged attack.

Trending