HomeTagsPosts tagged with "dublin fire brigade"

dublin fire brigade

Halloween night is usually one of the busiest nights of the year for pretty much every fire brigade nationwide, and this year was no different.

Dublin Fire Brigade received a shocking 900 calls last night, with fireworks and illegal bonfires causing the vast majority of incidents.

Greg O'Dwyer, Acting Assistant Chief Fire Officer with Dublin's brigade said the service's full crew was on duty last night, with the entire fleet in operation.

According to O'Dwyer, regional control centre mostly dealt with Halloween-related occurances, and injuries sustained were prominently of the hands and eyes.

Speaking to the Irish Independent, he commented on the massive amount of ambulance calls:

"We received 904 '999' calls into our control centre, 368 of these were Dublin fire calls (230 Halloween related) and 365 were Dublin ambulance calls," the service said this morning.

While speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Mr O'Dwyer said that this was at least six times busier than the normal Wednesday night, but relatively on the same wavelength as past Halloweens.

He also said that anti-social behaviour was actually decreasing and the number of injuries are being reduced as a result of organised events by local authorities in the run-up to this year's Halloween.

This past month, Gardaí have been clamping down on the gathering of incendiary items such as fireworks or bonfire materials, which appears to have had positive effects.

"I can’t stress how positive it is to have the organised events. It keeps people in a safe environment," said Mr O'Dwyer.

The assistant fire chief described the situations where cars were actually being driven onto dwindling bonfires in the early hours of the morning, as they die down. 

He claimed that people will do "anything to keep them going", and that the major danger with illegal bonfires is the combustible materials which people throw onto them, for example aerosol cans and gas cylinders.

"There is no safe distance" for those types of fuels.

Cork reported an unusually small number of bonfire-related calls, with Cork City Fire Service claiming that last night was no busier than average.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) described their Halloween as a "relatively quiet" evening.

Firefighters in N. Ireland responded to 6% fewer calls on Halloween night compared with last year.

Trending

by

According to emerging reports, Dublin Fire Brigade are currently battling a blaze in the vicinity of Dublin Airport.

It has been established that eight units of the brigade are currently tending to a fire at a recycling plant off the Ballymun Road in St Margarets in the north of the city.

Taking to Twitter with images from the scene, Dublin Fire Brigade wrote: "We now have 8 units attending the St Margarets / Sandyhill fire near the airport including aerial ladder & foam unit."

"We're getting increased water supply assistance from @Fingalcoco at the recycling plant fire in St Margarets / Sandyhill," they added moments later,

While plumes of smoke can be seen emerging from the premises, the fire isn't said to have effected any flights.

Trending

Hands up if there's a drawer in your house filled with old Samsungs and Nokias that only ever see the light of day when you have a festival to go to or an iPhone emergency to fix?

Yeah, us too.

And while keeping your old phone on hand might seem like a clever back-up plan, a new warning from the Dublin Fire Brigade might just change your mind.

The tweet reads: “Got a new phone for #Christmas ? Maybe recycle or pass on your old phone? This phone was recharged after being left idle & you can see the battery has begun to swell. If a phone hasn't been used in a while, it might be better to dispose of it safely.”

The emergency service has advised anyone who received a new phone for Christmas to ensure they dispose of the old one correctly as failure to do so could result in the battery bursting and exploding.

The terrifying warning was accompanied by a series of images showing a phone battery that had swelled to almost twice it's original size, posing a major threat to anyone who may be handling it.

Excuse while we clear out our blockia grave yards…

Trending

The Dublin Fire Brigade have taken to Twitter to warn festive revellers of the fire hazards that this time of year can involve.

From faulty lights to unattended candles, the brigade is using Twitter as a medium to keep people safe this winter.

The DFB has warned against purchasing Christmas lights and decor that don't carry a CE mark. 

The are particularly warning against these "rice lights," which were recalled by the European Commissioner.

The EU Commissioner also warns against these LED lights, which have been recalled after causing electrocution. 

The product is being withdrawn from the market and anyone who has these lights in their home is urged to return them to the retailer.

The CE mark is a symbol that indicates that products conform with relevant EU directives regarding health and safety or environmental protection.

Neither of the above products carry the mark. 

 The Dublin Fire Brigade is also asking that families check that their lights aren't damaged after a year in storage.

Lights with exposed or frayed wiring should never ben used. 

Trending

by

It's something you've probably done yourself without thinking, but it can have real and very serious consequences,

New photos released by the Dublin Fire Brigade this morning show just how dangerous it is to leave charging devices unattended, especially on duvets or under pillows.

The photos, which show an apartment bedroom in the Islandbridge Dublin 8 area, were taken after a charger left on the bed overheated and caused a fire.

"A fire in Islandbridge last night caused by a charging device on a duvet. Be safe, bed+gadgets don't mix," staff of the DFB captioned the photo.

Visible on the mattress is a charred hairdryer and what looks like the remains of a mobile phone.

The DFB often turns to social media to warn users of possible causes of house fires. Shortly before Christmas, staff released these photos, of a room destroyed by a Christmas tree fire:

Stay safe, ladies.

Trending
Well hello there!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device in cookies to serve you personalized content and ads.

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.