HomeTagsPosts tagged with "terrorism"

terrorism

by

*This is a breaking news story*

Local reports this evening state that a tragic incident has occurred in an upmarket Turkish nightclub, where a huge New Year's bash was marking the end of 2016.

It is believed that two men dressed in Santa outfits opened fire on revellers, killing and injuring dozens. The most recent information coming live from the scene reports that 35 people are dead. At least one of the dead is a police officer.

CNN Turk reports that at least one attacker is still at large outside the Istanbul venue. The BBC reports that after the shooting, the killer shouted the murder was in revenge for Russian involvement in the conflict in the Syrian city of Aleppo.

Ambulances and police forces are there now in the popular Ortakoy district of the city. The attack happened at 00.30 local time (11.30 Irish time).

Up to 30 people have been wounded in the attack, NTV is reporting.

And close-to 700 people would have been at the club – one of the city's most high-profile spots – at the time.

In March also in Turkey, 37 people died in a bombing at a bus stop in Ankara. Meanwhile in June, a suicide bombing at Istanbul airport killed 45 people.  

The hashtag #PrayForIstanbul had in the aftermath of the killings begun trending on social media outlets.

Trending

by

Our newspapers and televisions screens have, over the last seven days, been awash with coverage documenting the horrifying events which have been unfolding in Germany.

Since last Monday, the country has seen a spate of senseless violence across various cities – events which have added to daily discourse regarding Angela Merkel's immigration policy.

On July 18, a 17-year-old Afghan refugee, armed with an axe and a knife, attacked passengers on a train in Wuerzberg southern Germany before being shot dead by police.

The teen, who Islamic State claim was one of its fighters, injured at least four passengers before being apprehended by police.

Commenting on the incident which rocked the country, Isil's online Amaq news agency said: "The perpetrator of the stabbing attack in Germany was one of the fighters of the Islamic State and carried out the operation in answer to the calls to target the countries of the coalition fighting the Islamic State."

Four days later, an 18-year-old male of dual German and Iranian nationality opened fire at a shopping mall in Munich, killing nine and injuring more than 20 before turning the gun on himself.

Authorities have established no links between the gunman and any terrorist organisations, but are currently investigating the theory that the student carried out the attack as a nod to the fifth anniversary of a mass shooting in Norway.

A mere two days after the horror endured by dozens in Munich, a 21-year-old Syrian male was detained by police after attacking, and ultimately killing, a pregnant woman with a machete in Reutlingen.

German officials have yet to establish a motive for the attack, which took place near a doner kebab stand at Listplatz Square, but current reports have described the incident as a ''crime of passion', with one onlooker asserting: "The perpetrator was completely out of his mind."

While the perpetrator was known to police, officials have asserted that the incident 'did not bear the hallmarks of a terrorist attack'.

Later that same day, the country was yet again rocked by reports that a bomb had been detonated outside a music festival in the German town of Ansbach, and today it has today been established that the 27-year-old Syrian responsible for the attack, who also died in the blast, had been denied asylum a year ago.

Commenting on the attack which injured 12 people – three critically- the Bavarian interior minister, Joachim Herrmann, said: "My personal view is that I unfortunately think it is very likely this really was an Islamist suicide attack."

"The obvious intent to kill more people at least indicates an Islamist background," he added.

According to authorities, the events which have taken place in Germany over the past seven days are adding to the population's concerns over security and immigration.

Speaking to the press in the wake of these attacks, Mr. Herrmann insisted: "We must do everything possible to prevent the spread of such violence in our country by people who came here to ask for asylum."

Trending

by

*Some users may find this article distressing*

An understandably distressed mother has now spoken out about the moment her eight-year-old son saw the Munich shooter loading his gun in a McDonald's toilet… before targeting children and opening fire on them.

The woman, named by CNN as Lauretta, said she was with her child was in a bathroom when the killer struck.

"My son saw in the toilet the man loading his gun. It was a pistol.

"That's where he loaded his weapon.

"Boom, boom, boom, I heard.

"He's killing the children. They were sitting to eat. They can't run."

She added that she heard the gunman say: "Allahu Akbar" meaning 'God is great'.

Mail Online has named 18-year-old ‘loner’ Ali Sonboly as the perpetrator who killed at least ten people in the attack.

The Iranian-German teenager – who complained that he had been bullied for seven years – “targeted innocent children and then turned his gun on himself following the massacre,” the website additionally reports.

Shockingly, Police are investigating claims that Sonboly lured his young victims to their deaths with a promise of free McDonald's food.

A fake Facebook page reportedly told youngsters to gather at the restaurant yesterday afternoon for the special offer. 

Munich Police President Hubertus Andrae has confirmed that a number of adolescents were among the dead and that several children were injured.

Armed and armoured cops are still on the streets around the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall in the centre of the German city.

ISIS-related social media accounts have been sharing reports of the attack, but reports in German newspaper Bild suggests right-wing extremists are responsible.

The shopping centre is next to the Munich Olympic stadium, where the Palestinian militant group Black September took 11 Israeli athletes hostage and eventually killed them during the 1972 Olympic Games.

The attack took place a week after a 17-year-old asylum-seeker wounded passengers on a German train in an axe rampage claimed by Islamic State.

Trending

by

A Texan father and his 11-year-old son have been named as being among the victims of last night's Nice attack.

A total of 84 people are believed to have died when a terrorist ploughed through crowds around the city's famed promenade. 

Numerous families had gathered in the area to celebrate Bastille Day and enjoy music, entertainment and fireworks. 

Sean Copeland and his 11-year-old son Brodie hailed from the Austin area of Texas in the US and had been holidaying on the French Riviera.

"By now many of you have heard about the 80 people that have died in nice, France today from a terrorist attack driving through a parade," Haley Copeland posted on Facebook early this morning, reports the New York Daily News.

"Two of those 80 people were American and those 2 people happen to be uncle Sean and 11 year old cousin Brodie."

President Francois Hollande confirmed that several children were among the dead, with 54 more youngsters being injured – some critically. 

During a 30-minute killing spree, a 31-year-old French-Tunisian man, who Mail Online says was known to police, used a 25-tonne lorry to mount pavements at high-speed  

Mail Online further reports that young girls and boys could last night be seen lying dead on the road covered in a blankets with their dolls and buggies still next to them. 

Trending

by

Following the devastating events which unfolded in Nice last night, Rihanna has taken to social media to pay tribute to the victims, and announce that she will be postponing her concert scheduled for tonight.

In an Instagram post which has received a staggering 366,000 likes since its upload four hours ago, Rihanna, who is currently in Nice, wrote: "Due to the tragic events in #Nice, my concert scheduled for tomorrow July 15 at Allianz Stadium will not be going ahead as planned."

Sharing a photo of the French flag in the shape of a heart, she added: "Our thoughts are with the victims and their families "

Authorities in France are currently investigating the incident which saw the death of more than 80 people during Bastille Day celebrations in the French city last night.

According to The Telegraph, the individual responsible for last night's atrocity was known to police, with an investigating source confirming: "He was known to the police for violence, and using weapons, but had no direct links with terrorism."

"His identity car was found in the lorry," the source continued, referring to the vehicle the individual used to plough through crowds of people before being shot dead by French police. "He had French and Tunisian nationality."
 

Numerous other high-profile individuals, including Simon Cowell, Kris Jenner and Justin Timberlake have also taken to social media to express their regret over last night's attack.

Sending condolences, Simon Cowell tweeted: "“Just heard the terrible news from Nice. I am shocked. My thoughts and prayers to all affected."

"Our prayers are with you. We must continue to spread love in the face of hate," wrote Kris while Justin shared the #PrayForNice hashtag.

Trending

by

*This is a developing story*

France has once again been struck by tragedy; as the nation celebrates Bastille Day – a truck has ploughed into a crowd of people, killing at least dozens.

Horrific images showing bodies lying on the side of the road in the city of Nice are now flooding social media.

The incident is being treated as a suspected terrorist incident by French authorities, who have not yet formally identified the perpetrators of the attack. 

Numerous people have also been injured – with many more fleeing the scene in panic. 

France is still under a State Of Emergency following last year's brutal attacks on Paris, when almost 150 people were murdered by those loyal to Islamic State and Al-Qaeda.

Trending

by

One lucky Irish teen has spoken about her near miss in Brussels as more than 30 people are feared dead after terrorist attacks in the Belgian capital this morning. 

The city was struck by three explosions as alleged suicide bombers targeted both the airport and metro stations nearby. 

Shealyn Caulfield, a native of county Antrim, was heading to Brussels airport to catch her flight home with around twenty other youths when the attacks occurred. 

"We missed our first train to the airport so we were 10 minutes behind schedule and missed the bombing by a few minutes," said Shealyn to Belfast Live. 

"As soon as we arrived at the airport we were told to sprint out of the emergency exits. We then were walking towards a metro and were told that there had been another bombing in the metro stations and that public transport was shut down.

"The metro station that we were at this morning outside of our hotel was also bombed.

"We are currently waiting on a private hire coach that the youth service have paid to (go to) Amsterdam and we will get home from there.

"I am part of a group of 20 youths and we are currently in a pub with the locals watching the news and keeping our families updated.

"We have all rallied together and although there has been some tears the moral is high. We definitely have been super lucky."

The Prime Minister of Belgium has not yet confirmed whether the attacks were as a result of the arrest of the prime suspect of the Paris attacks last week. 

Trending

by

A 28-year-old man has been caught smuggling deadly weapons into popular themepark Disneyland Paris earlier today. 

A compulsory X-Ray of the man's luggage revealed the guns to security who then arrested the suspect on the spot. 

Other articles found in the man's possession was a Koran leading to speculation that the weapons were to be used as part of a terrorist attacked but this has not been confirmed by Parisian police officials. 

A woman, who was accompanying the man in question, has also been arrested.

According to the Telegraph, the pair had reportedly booked a room in the Hotel New York, which is the main and most expensive accommodation in the highly popular resort. 

The hotel is located at the entrance to the park, only a few metres from busy dining and shopping areas.

The man is reportedly not already known to French intelligence.  

Trending

by

Officials in Paris are investigating a possible terrorist incident in the city this afternoon, after shooting down a knife-wielding man who attempted to enter a police station.

One year to the day after 17 people were killed in the Charlie Hebdo attacks, the individual – believed to have been wearing a fake suicide vest – made an apparent attack on the station at Barbes in northern Paris.

Interior ministry in the French capital say the man was shouting "Allahu Akbar" and was waving a knife, in the attempt of creating "the impression of an attack."

According to one eyewitness speaking to French officials, the man was shot three times by a policeman armed with a revolver.

At first, bomb squad officers used a robot to inspect the man's dead body, to avoid casualties from possible explosive devices.

Just moments before the incident, French president Francois Hollande gave a speech in honour of the one-year Charlie Hebdo anniversary, praising the three policemen killed in ast January's attacks for their "sacrifice" in keeping people safe.

Trending

by

The man believed to have masterminded last Friday's attacks in Paris has been confirmed as dead.

French prosecutors today announced that Abdelhamid Abaaoud, a Belgian citizen, was one of two people shot in a planned raid on a Parisian apartment yesterday, November 18.

The 27-year-old, who is of Moroccan descent, was identified from his fingerprints. 

Eight other people were arrested during the raid on the property in Saint Denis.

Heavily armed French police broke their way into the apartment following a tip-off that Abaaoud was hiding there. During the raid, a female – believed to be Abaaoud's cousin – killed herself by detonating her suicide vest.

The death toll of Friday's gun and suicide bomb attacks stands at 129, with hundreds of others injured. Seven different areas were targeted, with the death toll highest at the Bataclan theatre, where 89 people were killed.

investigators are still hunting for another man, Salah Abdeslam, in connection with the terror attacks. He is believed to have travelled to Belgium on Friday night.

According to the BBC, Abaaoud's presence in Paris raises huge questions for the reliability of French security services.

Before the attacks, Abaaoud was high on both French and Belgiuan wanted lists, and yet was able to travel from Syria to central Paris without being detected.

Trending

A further terrorist attack in Tunisia is now highly likely: that's the warning being issued this evening by officials in the UK.

In fact, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond is telling British nationals to leave the country as soon as they can.

Many tourists are currently making preparations to leave on flights back to the UK tonight or tomorrow. 

The Department Of Foreign Affairs in Dublin has yet to officially update its advice for Irish people visiting the North African nation.

It is still telling tourists there to exercise “extreme caution” – without going as far as to recommend that people avoid Tunisia entirely.

However, the Irish Times this evening is reporting that the Department is now "urgently reviewing" this stance.

On June 26 an attack by Islamic extremist group ISIS in the popular costal resort town of Sousse killed 38 people – including three Irish people. Thirty of the dead were from Britain alone.

The BBC says this evening that some UK travel firms have also already begun to repatriate their British staff from Tunisia. 

And Thomas Cook said in a statement to Reuters that it was working to bring home 2,000 British and Irish guests currently at its resorts in Tunisia on ten flights scheduled for the next few days.

Reports on social media said that tourists were being escorted to the airport by Tunisian military.

British authorities explained that they simply do not believe that necessary security measures are in place to keep holiday-makers safe.

A Foreign Affairs statement this evening read: "Since the attack in Sousse the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, leading us to the view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely."

An earlier terrorist attack on March 18 at the famed Bardo National Museum in the capital of Tunis killed 24 people including 20 foreign tourists.

Trending

by

An Irish woman in her 50s is feared among the 28 dead following a terrorist attack in Tunisia today.

The death is yet to be confirmed officially, but RTE is reporting that she is from Meath.

Her husband, who was holidaying with her, has already been in touch with authorities in Ireland, according to thejournal.ie, which cites Fine Gael TD Ray Butler's constituency office as its source.

Sundayworld.com carries quotes from Ray Butler, who says he has spoken to the woman's husband. "He is absolutely distraught," the politician stated. “This was the hardest phone call I’ve ever taken. My heart goes out to the family who are enduring unthinkable grief.”

Local radio in Meath has also reported the death.

Today's attack, which began at around noon, took place at two busy hotels in the popular seaside resort town of Sousse.

Abbeytravel.ie, Budgettravel.ie and Sunway.ie all offer packages to the area from Irish airports.

As well as the 28 fatalities, another 36 are believed to be injured, according to Tunisian national television. The dead are said to include tourists from Britain, Germany and Belgium.

Witnesses to the attack have been expressing their fear and astonishment via social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram. 

So far, no organisation has claimed responsibility for the incident. However, the region is hugely popular with European sun-seekers and boasts numerous nightclubs and bars – something which Islamist jihadists condemn.

Tourism is a major source of income for the Tunisian government, and the country is widely viewed as the most liberal in the region.     

Still, in March, a terrorist attack at the famed Bardo National Museum in central Tunis killed some 24 people – including four Italian tourists, three French and one Briton. Many others were injured.    

Trending
Well hello there!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device in cookies to serve you personalized content and ads.

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.