An Irish woman in her 50s is feared among the 28 dead following a terrorist attack in Tunisia today.
The death is yet to be confirmed officially, but RTE is reporting that she is from Meath.
Her husband, who was holidaying with her, has already been in touch with authorities in Ireland, according to thejournal.ie, which cites Fine Gael TD Ray Butler's constituency office as its source.
— IrishForeignMinistry (@dfatirl) June 26, 2015
Sundayworld.com carries quotes from Ray Butler, who says he has spoken to the woman's husband. "He is absolutely distraught," the politician stated. “This was the hardest phone call I’ve ever taken. My heart goes out to the family who are enduring unthinkable grief.”
Local radio in Meath has also reported the death.
Today's attack, which began at around noon, took place at two busy hotels in the popular seaside resort town of Sousse.
Abbeytravel.ie, Budgettravel.ie and Sunway.ie all offer packages to the area from Irish airports.
Irish woman among dead after Tunisia attack http://t.co/60VSy6A76W
— RTÉ News (@rtenews) June 26, 2015
As well as the 28 fatalities, another 36 are believed to be injured, according to Tunisian national television. The dead are said to include tourists from Britain, Germany and Belgium.
Witnesses to the attack have been expressing their fear and astonishment via social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram.
So far, no organisation has claimed responsibility for the incident. However, the region is hugely popular with European sun-seekers and boasts numerous nightclubs and bars – something which Islamist jihadists condemn.
Tourism is a major source of income for the Tunisian government, and the country is widely viewed as the most liberal in the region.
Still, in March, a terrorist attack at the famed Bardo National Museum in central Tunis killed some 24 people – including four Italian tourists, three French and one Briton. Many others were injured.