1 week, 4 attacks, 13 dead, dozens injured: Germany is under siege

by

Our newspapers and televisions screens have, over the last seven days, been awash with coverage documenting the horrifying events which have been unfolding in Germany.

Since last Monday, the country has seen a spate of senseless violence across various cities – events which have added to daily discourse regarding Angela Merkel's immigration policy.

On July 18, a 17-year-old Afghan refugee, armed with an axe and a knife, attacked passengers on a train in Wuerzberg southern Germany before being shot dead by police.

The teen, who Islamic State claim was one of its fighters, injured at least four passengers before being apprehended by police.

Commenting on the incident which rocked the country, Isil's online Amaq news agency said: "The perpetrator of the stabbing attack in Germany was one of the fighters of the Islamic State and carried out the operation in answer to the calls to target the countries of the coalition fighting the Islamic State."

Four days later, an 18-year-old male of dual German and Iranian nationality opened fire at a shopping mall in Munich, killing nine and injuring more than 20 before turning the gun on himself.

Authorities have established no links between the gunman and any terrorist organisations, but are currently investigating the theory that the student carried out the attack as a nod to the fifth anniversary of a mass shooting in Norway.

A mere two days after the horror endured by dozens in Munich, a 21-year-old Syrian male was detained by police after attacking, and ultimately killing, a pregnant woman with a machete in Reutlingen.

German officials have yet to establish a motive for the attack, which took place near a doner kebab stand at Listplatz Square, but current reports have described the incident as a ''crime of passion', with one onlooker asserting: "The perpetrator was completely out of his mind."

While the perpetrator was known to police, officials have asserted that the incident 'did not bear the hallmarks of a terrorist attack'.

Later that same day, the country was yet again rocked by reports that a bomb had been detonated outside a music festival in the German town of Ansbach, and today it has today been established that the 27-year-old Syrian responsible for the attack, who also died in the blast, had been denied asylum a year ago.

Commenting on the attack which injured 12 people – three critically- the Bavarian interior minister, Joachim Herrmann, said: "My personal view is that I unfortunately think it is very likely this really was an Islamist suicide attack."

"The obvious intent to kill more people at least indicates an Islamist background," he added.

According to authorities, the events which have taken place in Germany over the past seven days are adding to the population's concerns over security and immigration.

Speaking to the press in the wake of these attacks, Mr. Herrmann insisted: "We must do everything possible to prevent the spread of such violence in our country by people who came here to ask for asylum."

Trending
Well hello there!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device in cookies to serve you personalized content and ads.

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.