We all need a cake we can throw together for special occasions. This cake is gluten-free, making it perfect for those with intolerances, as well as being light and not too sweet. The perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee in the afternoon. It’s also quite easy to put together and doesn’t require too many ingredients.
What you’ll need:
- 3 oranges
- 4 eggs
- 220g caster sugar
- 300g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp honey
What you’ll need to do:
- Grease an 8″ springform tin and line the bottom with baking parchment. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Put 2 unpeeled oranges into a steamer or set in a sieve above a pot of previously boiled water, now simmering.
- When the oranges have softened and broken down slightly but still retain their shape, remove.
- Cut the oranges into smaller pieces, place in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Stir the almonds, eggs and sugar into the orange mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour into the lined tin and bake for about 55 mins to an hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place the juice of the third orange into a small pan and add the honey. Heat to combine.
- When the cake is out of the oven pour the warm orange and honey syrup over the cake.