Catfishing is an online modern dating phenomenon where people pretend to be someone their not to lure others into an online relationship, and the the term was popularised by MTV's hit show, Catfish.
This week, Twitter is getting up in arms over fake online profiles, and is dolling out the advice to the unsuspecting relationship seekers who are trawling the Internet for a potential partner.
With Valentine's Day just around the corner, be wary of catfish while you swipe away looking for a bae.
10. We've all met a prince in our inbox who needs our help to get that €10,000,000 inheritance.
#CatfishWarningSigns? I have no idea. I'm just a simple Nigerian Prince desperately in need of funds. Please help!
— Ryan Hale (@HitThemRyceps) February 1, 2017
9. Amateur catfish mistake.
— Jos (@saverjoy) February 1, 2017
8. It's the 21st century people, we have cameras on things we don't need or want cameras on.
They don't have webcam or a front camera in 2017 #CatfishWarningSigns
— longlostafrican (@natxlieb) February 1, 2017
7. Again, 21st centuary…
When you have to wait for the carrier pidgen because they don't have a phone. #CatfishWarningSigns
— Madeleina Sophie (@LeinaSophie) February 1, 2017
6. More excuses than we have not to go to the gym on a Saturday morning.
You: Let's meet!
Them: I just got into a car accident, my fish died, I got kidnapped, I died. #catfishwarningsigns
— Bonita Applebum (@TheShakiaShow) February 1, 2017
5. Soooo many excuses.
— Catfish (@CatfishMTV) February 1, 2017
4. Either they still live at home or they're secretly 14.
When he calls you, his mom is always yelling at him in the background that he's up way past his bedtime #CatfishWarningSigns
— Tamara Rose (@misstamerica30) February 1, 2017
3. How often do webcams really break?
— #1 dog mom (@avocadoj0nes) February 1, 2017
2. So many snaps of their bedroom walls.
*adds on snapchat* Sorry I don't have a face. #CatfishWarningSigns
— Kathleen (@MUA_kathleen) February 1, 2017
1. And the glaringly obvious…
— 8 GR8 YRS 2COME!! (@curlyjerseygirl) February 1, 2017