The arrival of the autumn season is derided by some, and heralded by others.
But whatever camp you find yourself in, there’s no denying that the end of summer forces you to update your look.
Out are the flip-flops and flimsy skirts – you root around and rediscover scarves, jackets and hats that haven’t been seen since March.
Our diets are given something of an overhaul too… because no one wants to be munching on carrot batons and Caprese salad when there’s a chill in the air.
And it’s important that we don’t neglect our tresses either: in fact, September is just about the perfect month to update your hair.
It doesn’t have to be drastic, but a few tweaks will really tick you over into winter and through the festive party season.
SHEmazing! spoke to the experts at Toni&Guy in Dundrum Town Centre – which recently marked its 10th anniversary – for top tips and expert insight into hair trends for 2016.
The result is three key, achievable looks that have oodles of wow-factor. Better still, these are looks that you can try at home RIGHT now…
1) A twist on your lob: if your long bob of the summer has grown out to a medium length shape now all is not lost… Until you can make it in for your next cut create a Forties glamour feel with structured waves to bring you through to A/W.
- Heat protection spray (we love Label.m’s Protein Spray, priced at €17.50)
- Hair Spray
- Volume mousse
- A curling tongs or waver
- A bristle brush (again, Label.m has a stellar offering for €16.40)
- Shampoo and condition your hair before gently towel drying. Next layer your heat protection spray through the hair followed by the volume mousse, carefully taking sections and distributing evenly.
- Hair can now be blast dried. Using your fingers to brush through the hair, dry it roughly in the direction of where your parting will be. Hair needs to be 100 percent dry.
- Clip away the front sections and begin to wave your hair with waver, starting from the back, working forwards taking 10cm sections. The curler or waver will create an effortless effect.
- Once you're satisfied that the curls have cooled and set, tease the hair out into a more 'lived-in' feel.
- Secure hair on one side behind the ear for an asymmetric feel and finish with hair spray.
2) Beach braids be gone: The classic ponytail takes over from summer braids bringing a more groomed and glamorous feel for autumn/winter. Best done on day-old hair this is a time-saving, stand-out look.
- Back-combing brush
- Hair jewellery or accessories (Toni & Guy has a particularly cool range)
- Volumising spray
- Hairspray (Quick Dry by Redken, priced at €14.20, is a good bet)
- Part your hair to the left or right with a low exaggerated, side parting.
- Apply a volumising spray in crown area and tease/backcomb to create a low beehive.
- Secure into a ponytail at the nape of the neck.
- Adorn shape with a pretty hair jewel at the front or to the side.
3) Sleek and shine: Wet-look locks are still a fashion fix must-have. Make the style ultra-wearable by creating an edgy, sleeked-back look.
- Volume mousse
- Extra strong gel (take a look at Label.m’s version for €13.90)
- A length of black elastic
- Wide-toothed comb
- Bristle brush
- Apply some extra strong gel from roots to ends on dry hair.
- With your comb make a spotless clean centre parting. Using your brush, slick and secure in to a low ponytail.
- Wrap the length of elastic along the ponytail.
- Finish with some hairspray.
As well as on-trend hair and styling services, Toni&Guy Dundrum boasts lots of lovely added extras such as head massages and giant reclining chairs at its basins. Refreshments on offer include – hurrah! – herbal teas, red and white wine, and cold beers so you can REALLY relax.