Regardless of how summer 2015 pans out weather-wise (though we’re quietly confident it’s going to be a scorcher), we’re still intent on holding a heap of barbecues.
So get in a bag of charcoal; order another cylinder of gas – the great Irish climate hasn’t stopped our love of al fresco dining yet, and we don’t intend to start now.
And for garden soiree devotees looking to keep costs down (sausages, burgers, salads, and skewers can cost a pretty penny, after all) we are seriously impressed with what’s on offer at Aldi.
There are Irish Angus burgers, gourmet bread-buns, lamb spare ribs and rack chops, Irish buffalo mozzarella, jumbo BBQ sausages, and chicken skewers in delicious ginger chilli lime or piri piri flavours.
We also tucked-in to Aldi’s beetroot slaw earlier, and let’s just say after sampling this, you’ll never go back to plain old, regular coleslaw again.
Included below is a recipe for Aldi’s finger-lickin’ BBQ chicken so you can hone your outdoor cooking skills this weekend before the main events really kick-off.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 1 packet chicken thighs
- 1 packet chicken wings
- 1 packet chicken drumsticks
- Olive oil
- 1 pack of sesame seeds, toasted
- Fresh coriander
- 2 fresh limes
- A tub of coleslaw
- BBQ sauce
- Remove the chicken from its packaging and place on a plate. Cover with tin foil and let it stand for 30 minutes to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Heat the BBQ grill to a high heat. Brush the chicken drumsticks, thighs and wings with a little extra olive oil. Place the thighs and drumsticks in the centre of the grill and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, using tongs to turn regularly.
- Place the wings around the thighs and drumsticks, on a slightly cooler part of the grill, and let them cook for 20 to 25 minutes, turning regularly. When the chicken has cooked through, remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, chop the coriander leaves and cut the lime into segments. Serve the BBQ chicken with a sprinkling of sesame seeds, a scatter of fresh coriander leaves, some lime segments on the side for squeezing, a bowl of our Specially Selected coleslaw for extra crunch, and some BBQ sauce for dunking.