It may seem like there are a lot of ingredients in this but these are mostly cupboard essentials like spices that you will have anyway so don’t worry! It is one of the fastest and cheapest curries to throw together and you will find yourself making it again and again after a long day at college or work.
What you’ll need:
- 100g red lentils, washed and rinsed
- 1 tbsp butter/olive oil
- Vegetable stock
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 med onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, chopped finely
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
What you’ll need to do:
- In a saucepan, heat the butter or the oil and add the ginger, chilli, onion and garlic.
- Allow to soften slightly and all of the spices, heating to release their aroma.
- Add the washed lentils and combine with the flavours for about 3-4 mins.
- Cover the lentils with the veg stock and place the lid on. Cook over medium heat until the lentils have softened.
- For the last 10-15 mins of cooking, remove the lid allow the daal to thicken for a nice curry consistency. Add more stock if the lentils aren’t softening or it seems dry.
- Garnish with the fresh coriander and serve with some fluffy rice or naan bread.