It’s warm! No really – it’s proper warm out.
In fact, it’s a day to venture outside without so much as a hint of a geansai. And it’s time to wear your sandals with pride too. Yes, leave your sunnies on… there are no clouds in the sky (seriously – we just checked).
For many of us, it will be only right and proper to mark the occasion with a cool cocktail of sorts. It’s officially a school night, admittedly, but we have no idea when the weather will take a turn for the worse – so it’s probably best just to take action now.
Here, we’ve compiled three of our favourites…
- 500mls lemonade
- 500mls of orange juice
- Three dessert spoons of sugar
- 7UP or Sprite to top up with
- 750mls vodka
Makes enough for an evening soiree
- Leaving the 7UP aside, in a large plastic container (eg a big lunchbox) combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and freeze overnight.
- To serve, scrape a spoon across the top of the frozen mixture and then half fill a glass with the slush.
- Top it up with 7UP and enjoy.
Crushed berry gin:
- 10/12 frozen mixed berries
- One teaspoon of sugar
- A squeeze of lime and lemon juice
- Two fresh strawberries to serve (if you're feeling fancy)
- 50mls gin
Makes one crushed berry gin
- You can make these for individuals or in smaller batches – ideal if you don’t plan on consuming an entire bottle of spirits (hardly advisable at the best of times).
- In a blender, combine the ice, sugar and frozen berries.
- Squeeze a dash of lime and lemon over the mixture, add your rum, and then top up with 7Up to taste.
- Blend again until smooth..
- Pour into a glass and serve – garnishing with sliced strawberry.
- 8 mint leaves
- Half a lime, chopped
- Crushed ice
- 15g of brown sugar
- Soda water
- 80mls white rum
Makes two classic mojitos
- Mash up mint, lime, and sugar in a cocktail shaker – or just stick in a sandwich bag and hammer with a rolling pin.
- If you’re using a shaker, next add a generous scoop of ice and then the rum. If you’ve gone down the sandwich bag route, transfer into a large bowl before adding the same.
- Shake/stir until well-mixed and then strain equally into two chilled glasses.
- Top up with soda water to taste.