Rumour has been abound that John Giles – the very face of our national broadcaster's soccer coverage – was about to be dropped by RTÉ.
And this afternoon it has been confirmed that the sporting legend will leave Montrose after the Euros this summer.
"John has been an integral and much-loved part of our soccer coverage for over 30 years as well as a respected ambassador for the Irish football family as a whole," RTÉ said in a statement issued to SHEmazing.
Rounding off a depressing day for football, RTE have given John Giles his P45.
— Jonathan O'Brien (@obrien_jonathan) March 24, 2016
"The Republic of Ireland's participation in this summer's tournament and RTÉ Sport's coverage is an apt occasion for John to bow out at the top and we wish him all the very best with his future endeavours."
It concluded: "It's been a privilege to work alongside John through some of the most thrilling times for Irish soccer and his contribution to our programming has been phenomenal."
Ryle Nugent isn't fit to make John Giles a cup of tea
— Cathal M (@nolucifer) March 24, 2016
It had been suggested that the 75-year-old former professional player was set to retire, but in a statement to the Herald, he said: “In my negotiations with RTÉ Head Of Sport Ryle Nugent last year, he made it clear to me that this was to be the final year of my full-time engagement with RTÉ.
“He said that this was designed to allow him to continue the requirement to plan and prepare for the future.
“This was perfectly understandable to me and I signed the contract which finishes after the Euro 2016 final in France in good faith.
“But I want to make it perfectly clear that I’m not retiring or even thinking about it.”
Mr Giles along with Eamon Dunphy and Liam Brady are known as the Three Amigos. The late Bill O'Herlihy once described him as the best football pundit "in the world".