We're not quite at Christmas yet, so skip the Prosecco and mulled wine this weekend and go for some ghoulish cocktails in honour of Halloween!
Here are a few of our favourite recipes to kick your weekend off – but remember, everything in moderation!
All recipes make one drink.
1. Dark and Stormy
This classic dark rum recipe is an autumn staple. The lightly spiced flavour is a great alternative to other sickly sweet cocktails!
- One large lime wedge (plus a slice for garnish)
- 300 ml ginger beer (not ginger ale)
- 1.5 shot dark rum eg. Captain Morgan's
- Add 3 ice cubes to a glass.
- Squeeze your lime wedge over the ice.
- Add the ginger beer.
- Add the rum and stir.
- Garnish with a slice of lime.
2. Red Hot Margarita
This spicy twist on the classic Mexican cocktail is sure to please this Halloween!
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Tablespoon of sea salt
- Juice of 1 and a half limes (save the other half too)
- 1 shot tequila
- 1 tablespoon sugar syrup or agave nectar
- Combine the cayenne and salt on a plate or clean work surface.
- Moisten the rim of your glass with the spare half of the lime.
- Dip the rim of your glass in the pepper and salt mixture to coat it.
- To an ice-filled cocktail shaker, add the lime juice, tequila and sugar syrup.
- Shake and strain into a glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.
3. Alien Brains
This shot is similar to a Baby Guinness, but it's far more gory! It tastes better than it looks, we promise!
- Two thirds shot of peach or strawberry schnapps
- One third shot of Bailey's
- 2 drops grenadine
- Splash of blue curacao (optional)
- Fill your shot glass two thirds of the way with schnapps.
- Using a pourer, carefully add the Bailey's so that it floats over the schnapps. Pour it over the back of a spoon or hold the nozzle close to the inside of the glass.
- Wait a few moments for the Bailey's to settle before adding the grenadine and blue curacao.