Brownies stuffed with a caramel centre? Sounds like the perfect combination to us! And now you can have your own delicious batch, thanks to this easy recipe.
What you’ll need:
- 175g caster sugar
- 150ml double cream
- 10g unsalted butter
- large pinch of sea salt
- 180g plain flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder (like Green and Blacks)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 300g dark chocolate
- 150g unsalted butter
- 220g light brown sugar
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
What you’ll need to do:
- To make the caramel place the sugar into a medium saucepan, set over medium heat and cook until the sugar melts and caramelises.
- Pour in half the cream and all the salt, be careful the mixture will bubble up violently. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- For the brownies preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a pan and line with a strip of parchment leaving about a two inch overhang along the long edges to make removing the brownies easier.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and salt together into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water, and stir occasionally until the mixture is fully melted.
- Take the bowl of the heat and add the eggs and sugars and beat until the mixture is smooth. Sieve over the flour mixture and gently fold together.
- Divide the mixture equally in half and spread out the first half into the prepared tin. Then pour the caramel over the batter leaving a border around the outside. You now need to spread the remaining batter over the caramel.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- You can test that your brownies are done by inserting a fork or skewer in the middle and if it comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, your brownies are done.
- Allow to cool completely before using a sharp knife to cut into squares.
Image via Pinterest