If you’re sick of seeing loved-up couples this Christmas and think being single at this time of year totally sucks, just remember, the pair that just passed you have probably put that day’s festive-based argument on pause to keep up appearances for the public.
That 'perfect' couple have most likely had more than one argument over whose family they should spend Christmas with, whose group of friends they’ll go out with over New Years and who forgot that Christmas Eve was meant to be Christmas movie night and organised a night on the beer instead.
Here are just five reasons why being single at Christmas is a major win
1. You don’t have to worry about hiding your hungover face in front of the in-laws.
"No, I’m fine. I always look this green and clammy."
2. You don’t have to spend hours traipsing through ‘boy’ shops looking for an Xbox game you’re certain you got him for this birthday.
"What’s Fortnite? Actually, I don't care. Just give it to me."
3. You save a LOT of money not having to shell out for generic gift sets for his side of the family.
"Lavender talc? That’ll do his nana…again."
4. You don’t have to sit through charades with your boyfriend’s uncle who constantly calls you by his ex-girlfriend’s name.
"No, don’t worry! Laura…Áine… sorry, they’re really similar."
5. You don’t have to prime your family on all the ‘Not To Be Discussed’ topics before he calls around.
"No, you can’t laugh at what happened in Ayia Napa. He doesn’t even know you know."
Seriously, is that stress-fest worth it just for a New Year's Eve kiss?