We all love a good takeaway, but we are also very aware that this isn't always the best option for our wallets or our waistlines (except on Treat Yo'self Thursdays, obvs).
With his book Fakeaway, Chef Adrian helps us enjoy our favourite takeaway dishes without the guilt.
Among our favourite options are some tasty chicken wings… If you never thought you could make chicken wings at home yourself, think again.
Try this delicious recipe and you'll see that the tasty treat can be made affordably and oh so healthily.
BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS WITH A SMOKED GARLIC AND CHIVE DIP
"A classic wing from the United States. It is normally deep fried and coated in a vinegary, buttery, spicy sauce, but for a healthier version I bake these in the oven. This version has the addition of bourbon to the sauce, which adds an incredible musty flavour. Don’t worry, the alcohol burns off in the cooking."
For the wings
- 24 chicken wings
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bottle (354 ml) of hot sauce (I prefer Frank’s)
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 100ml bourbon
- 100g butter
- a handful of sesame seeds
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
For the garlic and chive dip
- 4–5 chives
- 2 cloves of smoked garlic
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1. First make the garlic and chive dip. Slice the chives thinly and finely chop or crush the garlic. Mix the chives and garlic into the mayonnaise in a small bowl and set aside until needed.
2. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas mark 6.
3. Season the chicken wings with the salt and thyme leaves. Now sprinkle the wings with the oil. Give them a good mix with clean hands and place on a baking tray. Roast for 25 minutes.
4. While the wings are cooking, make the sauce. Place the whole bottle of hot sauce in a wide saucepan. Add the white wine vinegar, bourbon and butter and then allow to simmer until the sauce becomes sticky and reduces to a nice syrup consistency.
5. After 25 minutes remove the wings from the oven and dunk them into the sauce. Return them to the oven for another 5 minutes and then dunk them again to get them extra sticky. Place them into the oven for a further 5 minutes and then they are ready. Spoon them into a dish, place the dip on one side, sprinkle with the sesame seeds, chilli and spring onions and tuck in.