Mamma mia! Scrumptious Italian recipes you NEED in your life
We all love a good, hearty meal at times – and on these days (hello there, August rain), a cheesy treat is the way to go.
Inspiring many great Italian meals, we have rounded up the best cheesy treats for you to indulge in. Hurrah!
Whether you want to spoil yourself on the weekend, or make your a loved-one or flatmate a mid-week surprise, here are the tastiest and easiest Italian dishes you can show off with:
Umbrian-style white pizza
If you don't like tomatoes, this is the way to go.
- Buy a pizza base (or make one from scratch like a boss)
- Top with wafter thin slices of potato, six anchovies, sage leaves and torn pieces of a mozzarella ball
- Cook in a very hot oven for 15 minutes and viola – you pizza is made!
Stuffed baked potato
This snack is pure perfection and full of golden, crispy goodness.
- Take one big baked potato (already baked that is) and slice in half
- Scoop the potato out of the skin and put it into a bowl
- With that, mix in crispy bacon, a dollop of cream, some butter, mozzarella cheese and salt and pepper
- Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins and pop in the over at 220C for 20 minutes
The ultimate cheese omelette
Cheese and eggs are a match made in foodie heaven.
- Thinly slice some mushrooms, half a red onion, chives and a tomato
- Then crack three eggs into a bowl and mix everything together, along with seasoning
- Fry the mix on a hot pan with a knob of butter and immediately add some grated mature cheddar and parmesan
- Cook for 5/10 minutes and then just enjoy the oozy goodness
Italian Mediterranean pasta salad
A glorious Italian taste sensation
- Bung a bag of penne pasta into boiling salted water and cook al dente
- Add frozen peas at the last minute
- Drain the whole lot and pour into a bowl with a good glug of olive oil.
- Stir in a cup of crispy bacon, chopped chives, veg of your choice and a packet of your preferred cheese
- The cheese will melt and ooze and transform the whole thing into a fabulous tasty meal
Kicky cheesy scones
Super easy yeast-free bits – just try not to eat them all!
- Rub together 225g of self-raising flour, 55g of butter and a pinch of salt
- Then stir in a liberal amount of cheddar
- Pour in 150ml of whole milk and stir until you reach a doughy consistency
- Separate into ten even pieces on a baking tray, brush with milk and grate some strong cheddar on top
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220C for about 12 minutes.
For something a little bit sweeter try this
- Mix crushed digestive biscuits with 85g of melted butter and a tablespoon of espresso coffee
- Then pour the mixture into a baking tin and squash down so it's all even
- Stir three tablespoons of espresso into a pan along with half a tub of mascarpone and heat gently, stirring until it bubbles
- Then drop four gelatin leaves into a bowl of cold water to soften
- Squeeze excess water from gelatin and add to coffee-cheese mix until dissolved
- Beat the other half of the mascarpone tub with 225g of icing sugar
- Stir the coffee and sugar together until sweet and creamy, than slather thickly over your biscuit base
- Leave overnight and see what glorious-ness awaits you in the morning