Lady Gaga has apologised for working with R Kelly in a powerful and honest statement posted to her Twitter account.
The Born This Way singer had been criticised by the public for staying silent since the Surviving R. Kelly documentary aired earlier this month.
The Golden Globe winner said that she believes the women who spoke out against the 52-year-old.
She wrote: “I stand behind these women 1000%, believe them, know they are suffering and in pain, and feel strongly that their voices should be heard and taken seriously.”
Speaking of the allegations made against R. Kelly, Gaga said they are “absolutely horrifying and indefensible.”
She also stressed that she will have her collaboration Do What U Want removed from iTunes and other streaming services.
“As a victim of sexual assault myself, I made both the song and the video at a dark time in my life, my intention was to create something extremely defiant and provocative because I was angry and still hadn’t processed the trauma that had occurred in my own life,” the Edge of Glory singer explained.
“The song is called “Do What U Want (With My Body),” I think it’s clear how explicitly twisted my thinking was at the time,” she added.
Gaga also admitted that she wishes she could go back in time and speak to her younger self and seek the help she so badly needed following her sexual assault.
“I can’t go back, but I can go forward and continue to support women, men and people of all sexual identities, and of all races, who are victims of sexual assault. I have demonstrated my stance on this issue and others many times throughout my career,” she added.
The Shallow singer said she is sincerely sorry for her silence on the matter and vowed to never work with R. Kelly again.
I stand by anyone who has ever been the victim of sexual assault: pic.twitter.com/67sz4WpV3i
— Lady Gaga (@ladygaga) January 10, 2019
“I’m sorry for both my poor judgement when I was young, and for not speaking out sooner. I love you.”