The idea of hash brown waffles has been popping up around the Internet over the past few days, but when we saw this delicious recipe, we HAD to share it.
Golden, crunchy and packed full of flavour, this treat is something you definitely NEED to make:
- One large russet potato, peeled and rinsed
- 1 tb water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 scallions, chopped
- a few dashes of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 2/3 slices of bacon
- sour cream
- cooking spray
- sriracha, to serve
- extra chopped scallions, to serve
You will need:
- 3 medium-sized bowls
- box grater
- tea towel
- waffle iron
1. Peel and grate the potato on a box grater. Fill a medium sized bowl with cold water and add the shreds to it. Allow to sit for a few minutes.
2. Swirl the shredded potato around with your hands to remove the starch.
3. Transfer the shreds to a sieve by scooping them out with your hands, and rinse under cold water until it runs clear.
4. Then, transfer the shreds onto a tea towel, twist the ends and wring out as much water as you can until shreds are crumbly and bone dry. Transfer to a bowl.
5. Preheat your waffle iron.
6. To make the hash brown mixture, whisk together the water, oil, egg and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl. Drizzle over the potatoes and toss to coat.
7. Add in the chopped scallions, salt and pepper, cheese and bacon.
8. Once your waffle iron is ready, spray it with a generous coating of cooking spray, then pour the potato mixture evenly over the top.
9. Gently close the lid and press the top and bottom together to compress the mixture.
10. Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the top is golden and crispy. Serve immediately with sour cream, sriracha and chopped scallions.