When it comes to desserts, it can be really hard to find healthy options that won't ruin the clean-eating streak you've (mostly) been on all week.
These brownies, from Irish clean-eating Instagrammer @theirishhealthdiaries, are clean and healthy, meaning if you wanted to have them for breakfast we really don't see a problem with that.
After all, raw cacao has major antioxidant properties, meaning you would actually be doing your body good by eating them.
There's also a secret ingredient that makes the brownies moist and dense – sweet potato! We know it sounds mad, but trust us – it works!
What you'll need:
- 130g raw cacao or dark cocoa powder
- 125g plain flour*
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 130g sweet potato
- 125g dairy-free spread
- 125g coconut sugar
- Zest of one orange
What you'll need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a brownie tin with parchment paper.
- Peel and boil or steam the sweet potato until soft. Mash until smooth and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour,cocoa powder and baking powder.
- In a saucepan, melt the spread with the coconut sugar and orange zest.
- Add the sugar mixture to the mashed sweet potato and stir to combine. If necessary, blitz with a hand blender to ensure it's smooth.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry – if it looks a little dry, add some drops of water.
- Place into the oven for about 15-20 mins or until the top is set and firm.
* If you are gluten intolerant, try using coconut flour instead.