It started off with Atkins, evolved to Dukan, and now has landed at Paleo. Yes, protein-heavy diets are going nowhere.
At this time of year, when the weather is (occasionally) looking a little brighter and we maybe want to feel a little lighter, lots of folk are trying their best to integrate more protein into their diets.
Sounds easy, right? Until you hit day-three and start to feel seriously bored. After all, there really are only so many eggs you can poach, steaks you can chew through, and nuts you can nibble on.
And boredom, in our experience, leads straight to the biscuit-tin.
Which is why we were oh-so excited to stumble across That Protein, an Irish-produced premium protein powder which is dairy-free, has no added sugar, no GMOs, and is full of organic plant goodness… all of which should result in muscles that recover faster after a work-out; a healthier metabolism, and boosted immune system. Hurrah!
Here are two simple but yummy recipes that caught our eye and are great for the summer season:
Orange and Raw Cacao Protein Pudding
- 80ml coconut milk or milk of choice
- Juice of ½ orange
- 2 tablespoons That Protein’s Blissful Brown Rice Protein Powder with Raw Cacao
- 1 teaspoon natural sweetener (like brown rice syrup)
- 60g rolled oats (or quick oats)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (optional – coconut oils adds a beautiful flavour to this oatmeal, but you can leave it out completely)
- Crushed hazelnuts
- Chocolate chips
- Orange slices
- Combine milk, orange juice, That Protein Blissful Brown Rice Protein Powder, sweetener and oats in a medium sized saucepan on medium-to-high heat until the mix begins to warm and steam. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and continue to stir occasionally. Once oats have fully absorbed the liquid, take off heat. Add a little extra milk if oatmeal is too thick, until reaching your desired consistency.
- Serve with your desired toppings.
Dairy-Free Strawberry Milkshake
- 200-250g strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 200ml almond milk or milk of choice
- ½ tsp vanilla powder or vanilla extract or half of a vanilla bean scraped (optional)
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1 drop of lavender essential oil or edible lavender flowers
- 2 scoops That Protein’s I Heart Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder with Chia Seeds
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Edible flowers (optional, but definitely a hit)
- Pour all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend till smooth, then pour in tall glasses.
- You can also garnish the milkshake with some chopped strawberries or dry fruits.
- Serve immediately for best results.