Who knew tying your hair in a bunch of knots could be SO cool? That's what hair stylist to the stars, Sarah Potempa created when she did this gorgeous braid for Buzzfeed, and frankly, we are obsessed.
It looks totally complicated but it's really simple when you break it down step by step:
This is literally just tying your hair in knots and it's beautiful.// Hair styling: Sarah Potempa
Posted by BuzzFeed Style on Sunday, 8 November 2015
First, start with a triangular section of hair from your hairline going back to your crown – just like you would with a regular French braid.
Next, separate that section of hair into two pieces and tie them in a knot tightly.
Once that's done, hold the two ends in your right hand and pull another section of hair from the left side of your head to create another knot.
From there,hold the ends of the two pieces of hair you just knotted in your left hand and grab a section from the right side of your head to create another knot.
Then continue this on both sides until you come to the end. And viola! a deadly braid in under two minutes.
Trying to deal with tangled and knotted hair can be a nightmare. Instead of going through the dreaded process of brushing out every single knot in your hair, here are a few tips:
- Brush your hair before you jump into the shower so that you don’t cause unnecessary damage to your hair while it’s wet.
- Make sure you apply conditioner and use a wide-toothed comb to loosen up the tangles.
- Start from the bottom and work your way up with the comb.
- It’s easy to miss a few knots. Apply leave-in-conditioner and use your fingers to pinpoint the worse areas and slowly tease out the knots.
- If you have any stubborn knots, use warm olive oil and some more finger work to tackle it.
If you want to prevent waking up to knots, plait your hair before you go to bed. Some of the worse knots come from roughly tying the hair up.
When many people think of a plait, they are immediately reminded of a childhood filled with tight, uncomfortable braids.
Thankfully, now that you’re a grown-up, you can plait you hair anyway you want. Follow our top tips and you will have fabulously sleek hair in no time.
- Use a treatment oil when your hair is wet and smooth it from the mid length right down to the tips.
- Blow-dry your hair as you normally would.
- Once your hair is thoroughly dry run your straightener through it.
- Put your hair in a centre parting and plait all hair to one side.
- Use a thick hairband to make the style a bit dresser.
- Make sure all flyaways are neatly put to bed by using a strong hold hairspray
This is a great look that you can take straight from the office to the bar.