As discussed previously, we’re a nation that just really loves our chips.
But potatoes aren’t the only foodstuff that can be fashioned into delicious slivers of golden goodness.
In fact, Irish pubs in the US are now championing a twist on the classic: namely avocado fries.
Oh. Yes. Please.
Crunchy on the outside; warm and creamy on the inside. Suffice to say that slices of avocado, breaded and deep-fried = heaven.
Here at SHEmazing! we think they’re particularly delicious when served with a zesty citrus, or a firey-hot chilli dipping sauce.
- Oil for frying
- 2 avocados
- 2 eggs
- 80g of breadcrumbs
- Zest of half a lemon
- Black pepper
- Ground cumin (about half a teaspoon)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the bread crumbs with the lemon zest and cumin.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and set it aside.
- Beat the eggs together in a bowl and also then place aside.
- Cut the avocados in half and slice them vertically into chunky wedges (about 10cm long X 2.5cm wide).
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan (170C is ideal) – the oil should be 8-10cm deep so the avocado gets covered completely.
- Dredge the avocado slices in the breadcrumb mixture, then in the egg mixture, then back in the breadcrumb mixture again.
- Place them in the hot oil and fry them for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs, and set them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Allow them to dry for 10 minutes, then transfer to a serving tray and serve immediately.