It’s been almost 20 years since JK Rowling first introduced Harry Potter to the world and, sadly, it now seems that the boy wizard’s journey has finally come to an end.
Speaking at the premiere of the new Potter play in London on Saturday night, the best-selling author confirmed that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will mark the end of Harry’s adventures.
The beloved writer told Reuters: “He goes on a very big journey during these two plays and then, yeah, I think we're done.”
“This is the next generation, you know…so, I'm thrilled to see it realized so beautifully but, no, Harry is done now.”
Earlier this month the creators of the Harry Potter movies Warner Bros generated a host of speculation that The Cursed Child could be headed for the big screen when it was reported that they had submitted a trademark request for any potential film which may come from the play.
However a spokesperson for Rowling later said that there were no plans for a ninth Hogwarts flick and that the trademark application was merely “standard practice”.
For now Potter fans will still be able to experience Harry’s story in new ways as The Cursed Child script has just been released for purchase and the play looks set to run in London’s West End until at least December 2017.