Can you BELIEVE it’s been a whole 10 years since Mean Girls was released? Scary!
To celebrate the birthday of one the best high school comedies of all time, here are 10 totally fetch things you probably didn’t know about Mean Girls.
1. Lindsay Lohan’s character Cady is named after Elizabeth Cady Stanton, a feminist and groundbreaker in the Women’s Rights Movement. Writer Tina Fey regularly tips her hat to iconic figures of the feminist movement in her work. Right on!
2. Before Mean Girls producer Lorne Michaels decided that Amanda Seyfried would be best cast as the “dumb girl,” she was supposed to play Cady!
3. Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams are eight years apart, but play characters who are the same age in the movie.
4. Scarlett Johansson auditioned to play Karen! We just can’t see it.
5. President Obama’s a Mean Girls fan! Last summer, the White House tweeted out this picture of the First Dog, Bo, with this nod to arguably Mean Girls’ most enduring line.
7. The song playing at the school dance is Built This Way, by Samantha Ronson. By 2008, Sam and Lindsay were dating! Fate? No so much as it turns out.
8. Tina Fey picked Jonathon Bennett to play Aaron Samuels, because “he looked like Jimmy Fallon,” which we totally see now that she mentions it.
9. Lizzy Caplan’s character Janis Ian got her name from the folk singer of the same name, whose biggest hit At 17 is a heartbreaking ballad about being a teen outsider: “I learned the truth at seventeen, that love was meant for beauty queens, and high school girls with clear-skinned smiles.” While the heterosexual Janis of the film has to deal with rumours that she’s a lesbian, the real life Janis Ian is indeed gay.
10. Lizzy Caplan was in a six-year relationship with Matthew Perry from 2006. This is more shocking than when Trang Pak slept with Coach Carr!