Are you one of the 1,000,000,000 people who have the Facebook Messenger app on their phone?
You are also probably one of the 90% of people who don’t read the Terms and Conditions before accepting.
If so you might be in for a shock.
Facebook is not known for its defence of privacy at the best of times, but when one man actually stopped to read the terms and conditions for the messaging app he was left speechless.
When you install Facebook Messenger you not only give it access to all your personal details, but it can record you using the camera and microphone, at any time, without asking.
Using the app, Facebook can take and send on any information about you it wants, and can even call and text people with your phone without you knowing about it. And it’s you who is charged for the privilege.
If you decide to keep this app, keep a close watch for any unexplained charges. Your phone could be living a life of its own.
The most worrying Terms and Conditions include:
– Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.
– Allows the app to send SMS messages. This may result in unexpected charges. Malicious apps may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.
– Allows the app to record audio with microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation
– Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.
– Allows the app to read your phone's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.
– Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals.
– Allows the app to read personal profile information stored on your device, such as your name and contact information. This means the app can identify you and may send your profile information to others.
– Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
Allows the app to get a list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed.