Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has said authorities have identified the person responsible for the terror attack on New Year’s Eve.
Images taken from a selfie video shot by the gunman have been previously been circulated by officials, however Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus has said they now have his fingerprints.
Terrorist group ISIS who claimed responsibility for the attack, branded the gunman “a heroic soldier”.
Turkey extends state of emergency after Istanbul attack. https://t.co/PR7S93QjD1
— RTÉ News (@rtenews) January 4, 2017
The name of the gunman has not yet been released, however, according to the Independent UK, it is believed the man was living with his family in Izmir, Turkey for three weeks prior to the attack.
The attack, which was carried out at the Reina nightclub in Instanbul, saw the death of 39 people – many of whom were tourists – while a further 70 people sustained injuries.
— Israel News Online (@IsraelNewsOrg) December 31, 2016
The Turkish Parliament have extended the country’s state of emergency to “at least” three months, RTÉ have reported.
Image released by Turkish authorities, Credit Independent UK