We're partial to an occasional (read: daily) treat around these parts. And certainly we're always in the market for a new, delicious sweet-treat that we can create at home.
Because on a delicate Sunday evening after a weekend of socialising, we'd rather not venture outside unless totally compelled to do so (Zombie apocalypse or similar).
Thus – welcome to our world, deep friend Oreos. We're not the only ones getting in on the act either – the hashtag #deepfriedoreos is increasingly taking over social media.
Apparently it's something of a carnival/festival stable in the US, and certainly this is one American cuisine we're terribly glad is branching out on to these shores.
Here's the best recipe that we've come across – and make sure to email the results to email@example.com…
- 125g pancake mix
- 250-350mls of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 18 Oreo cookies
- Oil for frying
- Icing sugar
- Add oil to a large skillet or deep fryer so that it's at least 5cm deep. Heat the oil to 175C.
- Line a separate baking sheet with several layers of paper towels.
- In a bowl mix together pancake mix, milk, egg, and vegetable oil until a batter is created.
- Dip each Oreo in the batter and using a slotted spoon or tongs, place the Oreo into the hot oil and fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to the paper-towel-lined baking sheet to let any excess oil drain.
- Serve with a dusting of icing sugar.