Crumble is a great alternative to tart because it is light and doesn’t have a heavy base, just a light topping.
It is also so easy to make – no faffing about with homemade pastry, sounds good to us!
What you’ll need:
- 6 stalks of red ripe rhubarb
- 200g strawberries
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 5 tbsp water
- 120g plain flour
- 30g ground almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 70g brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 70g cold butter
What you’ll need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a suitable dish for your crumble – either a deep pie dish or a tart dish.
- To make the fruity filling, get a heavy based saucepan and add the fruit, honey, sugar and water to it over a medium heat.
- Allow the fruit to soften but not fall apart completely. Taste to sweeten further if required. Set aside when ready.
- To make the crumb topping add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and using your fingers create a crumbed consistency with the butter and dry ingredients.
- Transfer the fruit filling to the pie dish and sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over it.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until the topping is golden brown and hot through.
To make this dish a little bit healthier you can always swap half the flour for some oats or eliminate the sugar in the fruit filling and add more honey. Though it will be quite tart.