When we think about chips, we instantly think ‘unhealthy’. But if we go back to the base of a chip, that is, the potato, surely there is nothing wrong with a potato?
By stripping away the oil, salt and deep-fat frying elements of chips, is it possible to make them healthy? Of course it is! But will they be just as crispy and tasty? Most definitely.
The trick with these chips is to get rid of the starch before baking, leaving a crispy, dry outside and a fluffy, soft inside to the chip.
Here is a simple recipe for crispy, clean chips you can eat every night of the week:
What you’ll need:
- 1-2 potatoes
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
What you’ll need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180.
- If you wish to peel the potato, do so now. If not, simply chop into chip shapes.
- In a bowl, pour water and add some ice cubes (unless you have iced water on hand)
- Tip the chips into the iced water and leave for ten minutes.
- Change the water and leave for a further ten minutes.
- Drain the water from the chips and pour the chips onto a tea towel laid out onto a counter.
- Dry the chips, individually if you must – we swear it’s worth it!
- Place the chips back into the bowl, season and add the smoked paprika, mixing to coat evenly.
- Put the chips into the hot oven and bake until golden brown and soft on the inside when a fork is inserted.