With the cold weather really hitting us hard this week, we're all dying to relax after work, put our feet up and zone out to Netflix.
This salted caramel hot chocolate is SO simple to make. You can make the sauce ahead of time but it takes less than five minutes to cook so it's handy to prepare at a moment's notice too. Some caramel sauces can be terrifying to make with lots of spluttering and molten sugar – don't panic, the recipe below is easy breezy! If you're feeling lazy though, jars of salted caramel sauce are available in most supermarkets and will work just as well.
Time to get your PJs on and whip up a delicious warming treat! Enjoy!
Salted caramel sauce
This recipe makes around 175ml of sauce, which is enough for four mugs of hot chocolate. It can be kept in a closed jar in the fridge for up to a week too, so you could easily double the quantities and use this sauce over ice cream or cake – YUM!
- 50g unsalted butter
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp golden syrup
- 75ml double cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Small pinch of sea salt
- Add butter, sugar and golden syrup to a saucepan and boil over a low heat, stirring slowly, until the sugar is dissolved
- Add all of the cream to the pan. It will bubble a little but just keep on stirring and it will die down.
- Once the mixture is smooth and simmering again, add the vanilla extract and sea salt.
- Keep stirring for 2 – 3 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Take pan off the heat and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a jar – or into your hot chocolate!
Salted caramel hot chocolate
Makes 1 mug, just double if you’re making it for two!
- 250ml full-fat milk
- 50g dark chocolate OR powdered hot chocolate measured according to packet instructions
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) salted caramel sauce
- Add milk and chocolate (or powder) to a saucepan.
- Stir over a low heat and as soon as everything has dissolved, stir in the salted caramel sauce.
- Once everything is mixed together, pour into a mug.
- Optionally, add some whipped or aerosol cream to the top and finish with a small amount of the caramel sauce or some chocolate powder.