While many people may be going out for a few tomorrow, there are also a lot of us who prefer staying in for St. Patrick’s Day.
And what better to do that cook a nice dinner with an Irish theme?! We thought so…
Here’s a great recipe for the ultimate Irish dinner – the stew!
This stew serves two people with some leftover, so adjust the amounts according to your crowd.
What you'll need:
- 1 ½ lbs neck or shoulder of lamb
- 1 onions
- 3 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 parsnip
- 4-5 potatoes
- Small handful of barley (optional, but be careful as it expands a LOT!)
- Beef or lamb stock, to cover
- ½ pint Guinness (optional)
- 1 tsp. Worcester sauce
What you'll need to do:
- Prepare all of the veg by chopping the carrots, celery, parsnip and potatoes roughly.
- Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan and add the meat in batches to brown. Once browned, remove from saucepan and set aside.
- Add the onion to a little oil and soften. Then, add in the veg, potatoes and barley and cook for about 5-6 minutes on medium heat.
- Throw in the meat, stock and Guinness if using and simmer for about 30mins or until the meat is cooked through and the veg has softened.
- Add a splash of Worcester sauce at the end and serve!