Porridge is a great, filling morning option, but who has the time in the mornings to make it, let alone to sit down and eat it?
Overnight oats are a really quick fix if you’re looking for a breakfast option to keep you going ‘til lunchtime that you can take along to school or work without mess. And the best part is, once you assemble the ingredients, your fridge does the rest of the work. These oats can be eaten cold if you’re on the go, or they can of course be heated up in the microwave.
The basic idea is one part oats (porridge oats, rolled oats or even basic museli) to one part liquid (your choice of milk or water) in a sealable container. You can add a splash of cream, yoghurt or even orange juice for extra flavour and texture.
Then sweeten the oats with whatever you want – seriously, we mean whatever you want. Honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, seeds, dried fruit, berries, nut butters… the list is endless. Anything yummy, basically. Then pop in the fridge and leave overnight!
Here’s one of our favourite easy recipes that uses yoghurt and milk:
Zingy Strawberry and Chia Overnight Oats
- 40 – 50g oats
- 40 – 50ml milk (almond is tastiest here but whatever you prefer)
- 40ml Greek or vanilla yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- 4 strawberries, thinly sliced.
- Mix all ingredients in a sealable container or jar until combined
- Leave in fridge for a minimum of six hours
- Add fresh strawberries, nuts, or any toppings you prefer – or just eat as-is!