Huevos Rancheros is a traditional Mexican breakfast and can be served alongside tortilla wraps, guacamole, refried beans and some hot jalapeños.
Although it seems like a lot of ingredients, the actual base recipe is very economical.
What you’ll need:
- 400g tin of tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red or green chilli pepper
- Handful of fresh spinach
- 1 chorizo sausage, chopped roughly
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 eggs
What you’ll need to do:
- In a cast-iron frying pan (or one you can put under the grill), add some oil and when it is hot, add the finely chopped onion, chilli pepper and garlic.
- When they have softened, add the chorizo, smoked paprika and roughly chopped peppers.
- When the chorizo cooks a little and begins to release its oil, add the tin of tomatoes.
- Add the sugar and season to taste.
- Cook for about 10mins over medium heat or until the chorizo is cooked. Add the torn spinach.
- Make two wells in the middle of the mixture and crack an egg in each.
- Place the pan under the grill until the egg has cooked to your liking.