There is something about macaroons that delight us ladies. It might be the colours, the light taste or the delicate appearance. Either way, we can’t get enough!
Macaroons also have a reputation for being very difficult to make. While they are no mugcake, they really aren’t that bad and with some practice, you’ll be a macaroon connoisseur in no time!
Why not impress your girls and make them some macaroons?
What you’ll need:
For the shells
- 130g icing sugar
- 115g caster sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 120g ground almonds
- pinch of salt
- Food colouring of your choice (be sparing!)
For the filling
- Icing sugar
What you’ll need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Sieve the icing sugar and almonds into a large bowl.
- Using a mixer, whiz the egg whites, caster sugar and salt until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Add any food colouring you are using.
- Slowly and steadily, fold the almond and sugar mixture into the egg whites. This should take a while if you are working slowly enough.
- Place the mixture into a pipe and create consistent, small, round shapes onto the baking tray.
- Bang the tray once on the counter to settle the macaroons.
- Leave the macaroons at room temperature for 15-20mins.
- Bake for 15-20mins.
- Combine the butter and icing sugar to make the butter-cream and spread it in between each macaroon once they are cooled.