The word ‘vegan’ is a dirty word for many foodies but a recipe free of animal products doesn’t have to be free of flavour too.
This recipe for vanilla poached peaches is the perfect, vegan dessert for a lazy, early spring Sunday.
What you’ll need
- 4 large, ripe peaches
- 425ml sweet white wine
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1 vanilla pod, split
What you’ll need to do
- Fill a large bowl with iced water.
- Place the peaches in another large bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover.
- Leave for 30 seconds, then remove the peaches with a spoon and plunge them into the cold water. The skins should peel away easily.
- Place the wine. agave and vanilla pod in a pan, gently heat until the agave has dissolved.
- Lower the peaches into the pan, cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until tender. Using two wooden spoons, turn the fruit 3 or 4 times while cooking and regularly baste with the syrup.
- Remove the cooked peaches from the pan and set to one side in a large bowl.
- Boil the syrup until it has reduced by half. Spoon over the peaches, then set aside to cool. Serve the peaches and syrup at room temperature, warm or chilled.