Let’s face it, for the first two years of college, usually when you’re like 18-20, you have F-all worries! I mean you can go drinking with little to no money, usually working a couple of days a week in the local is enough to get by and that’s fine.
But once you hit 21, things start to change. Drastically. Here are 15 things you should know about money in your 20s.
1. If you’re not spending it, you’re thinking about it.
2. You’ll never feel like you have enough
3. A few of your friends will be earning twice as much as you and it will make you feel like a failure
4. Thanks to wealthy family, some will never have to worry about a single penny (try not to be resentful)
5. Besides, you’ll find that most people you are in the same boat as you
6. You’ll learn that’s it’s better to save up a bit and spend BIG
7. Always do a big food shop, don’t get your lunch from Starbucks
8. Buy the basics, you don’t need organic corn fed quail eggs…
9. You can’t afford to do rounds of drinks…so don’t offer
10. Especially if your mates are on the trebles and you’re on the pints
11. You absolutely hate direct debits
12. Your overdraft is NOT your friend. Pay that shit off as soon as you can and never go there again
13. Taxes are the most confusing things in the world especially if you’re self-employed, but it’s important to figure them out
14. Talking to your boss about your salary will always be awkward – just get it over with!
15. It’s good to be a bit of a Monica Geller about your spendings
via our content partner CT